Saturday, February 23, 2008

Moms need to get out of the house too

I know it has been awhile since I last post, but being couped up in a tiny apartment all day every day isn't that exciting. Don't get me wrong. I love being a stay at home mom with Aaron. I love that kid so much that I don't mind spending all my time with him. It is just hard when I don't have anywhere to go and I find that I have been in my apartment for days without going farther than the laundry room on the other side of the dorm. Luckily, yesterday was a nice enough day that I was able to load Aaron into the stroller and take a walk around campus. We just went to the bookstore to sneak a peek at Kirby Heyborne (the blond kid in the movies like R.M. and Singles Ward) He was in town for a concert. Apparently he plays music too. Then we went to the library to say a quick hello to Eric while he was working in the Math Lab. Then Aaron and I headed back home because it was time for his nap. I know that there are a lot of things to do on campus that are really cheap but Eric is so busy with school and tutoring that it is hard to go out with him.
Last weekend we did get to take a trip to SLC to visit my parents and my little sister. It was nice to just go and visit. We haven't done that in awhile without having to go to a wedding or a funeral. The drive was so nice because it was only 3.5 hours as opposed to the 6 from Vegas. We had a relaxing and uneventful stay. It was fun. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. I forgot the camera at home.
I actually haven't taken any pictures or videos lately. I know I should because Aaron is learning to scoot forward and it is so fun to see him try to work for a toy. I will take a video soon so you all can see.
The hard part with Aaron now is getting him to eat. He doesn't like anything but plain rice cereal and mashed green beens. Anything else I try to give him he refuses to eat. He likes green beans because that was the first vegetable I introduced to him. I tried giving him peas and he ate it a couple of times and then one day threw up after eating some. Now he doesn't like them. I have tried all sorts of fruits and he doesn't like any of them either. I don't know what to do because he is a picky eater. At first I would force feed him by slipping food in his mouth while he would cry. He learned very quickly that he can't open his mouth or "Mom will make me eat that nasty stuff." I really don't know where to go from here. He is even getting more difficult to nurse. He doesn't seem that interested in my milk anymore. If any of you have ideas or suggestions of what else to try let me know. I really have no idea what I am doing and this isn't easy.
Sorry this was more of a vent blog. I know I that I am so blessed to be where I am and to have the opportunity to stay home with Aaron, but I need to figure out how to balance Aaron's needs with my own needs.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

He is too young to be a picky eater. In my opinion I wouldn't make food an issue so don't force feed him. Alex has been missing a few meals the last couple of days too because he has been fussy. I think he is teething, but if he isn't in the mood- I haven't pushed it.

The Petrini Post said...

Yeah, don't push it....all babies and kids go through stages where they like only one kind of food or taste, and then before you know it, they don't like that anymore and it's something else. Just keep trying, but don't get discouraged. About the milk thing, maybe try formula and see if he likes it. It also could be he's just not that hungry lately and then in a weeks time, he will want it all the time. You never know with babies or kids, that's why it's so important to be so flexible. Good luck!

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Angela- that sounds hard. With the whole nursing thing, how long has that been going on? Lance went through a little stage about a week or a week and a half ago where he was not interested in nursing at all... i was so sad. Every time I tried to feed him he would just jerk his head away, and he wouldn't take any formula either. Really the only time I got him to feed was when he was really tired and falling off to sleep, and didn't realize what he was doing. Had to keep him hydrated! Anyway, I hear sometime babies go through "nursing strikes" - whatever that is, and maybe Lance just wasn't that hungry for those few days, because after about 3 days, he went back to loving it and eating it all the time. hopefully Aaron is just going through a little stage and will be back to normal before long. Lance is also kind of fussy with food - he will eat something a couple times, then hate - spits it out, or even refuses to swallow it. He loves oatmeal with bananas (it is a rice cereal brand type thing) - have you tried that? Also - I hear that some babies don't like baby food and you just have to blend up normal food - like smash some bananas or avacados? I don't know - GOOD LUCK! Also - I can't wait to see your videos and some updated pictures!

Anonymous said...

It can be so hard to feed kids sometimes! I remember Addyson was on a "Nursing Strike" but she seemed to get over it after a few days. I just kept trying to feed her with nursing (even though she didn't want it) and bottles in the meantime just so she wouldn't get dehydrated. And like everyone else said, don't be too stressed about the solid foods, he'll be eating better eventually. I think it takes babies a little while to get used to the textures and tastes of these new foods. Just be patient for now and keep trying. Sometimes I even mixed some fruit in the the cereal, just so she would get used to the taste. Good luck and be patient, he'll come around eventually!

Cindy & Billy said...

Hey I'm excited that you got time out of the house. Now I know that I don't have a baby so I'm sure my opionion doesn't matter much. But currently I am taking a class in Infant and Child nutrition, it's been really interesting and we just covered this stage the last week or two so it's fun to hear you write about it. Anyway when we were talking about weening a baby she mentioned that the baby would tell you when he/or she was ready by acting disinterested in the breast feeding. But like I said don't have a baby or any experiance so take it for what it is worth. just making connections in my head

britentj said...

Well dear, here are my two bits, lol take it for what it is worth, Levi was a really picky eater when he was young, and I "forced" new foods to him, and he hated it, now he is picky still, but he does eat a nice array of fruits and veggies,he isnt a big meat eater, when he eats meat I actually do the happy dance. lol It is really hard trying to read babies, every one is different, if I had it to do over, I don't think I would have stressed so much about it. As for balancing your needs with Aaron's, Maybe Eric could take him for a night or an afternoon off for Mom stuff. It is nice to have a day off to look after your own needs. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I understand the picky eater thing (not the breastfeeding because I wasn't able to do that so I pumped and gave London bottles instead. Anyway, she was done with the bottles after her surgery at 10 months and around a year, she moved to no more bottles at all). London is such a picky eater. She has never been a big eater. But, I don't think she'll starve herself. If I keep offering her food, she won't go hungry. Plus, I noticed that she usually eats one bigger meal every day so even if it's breakfast, I try to give her anything she'll eat if she's in the mood to eat. Then if she doesn't eat for the rest of the day, at least I know that she had one good meal.