Saturday, May 23, 2009

Kaylee Bell

It has been so much fun having a new little baby around again. Everything has been going really well. I had my mom here for a week to help out. She left this morning so we will find out soon if I can handle two kids all by myself. She is very healthy and eats and sleeps really well. We are still trying to teach her to sleep at night but I know that will take some time. Here are a few more pictures of our little girl from this week.



Getting ready for a bath.

Her first bath at home.

It has felt so good not to be pregnant again that I almost forget that I need to still take it easy cuz I am still recovering. With this being my second child I bounced back a lot quicker than I did with my first. The delivery started out scary but it ended very well. As you know I went the week before to be induced but Kaylee was too high and out of the pelvis that they couldn't break my water so I was sent home the next morning. It was a very hard day for me. I was super emotional and I was in pain from the epidural. I guess they got really close to a nerve or something because my left leg took a whole week to feel back to normal. I was limping around for days. I was very nervous about getting the epidural again but I didn't feel at all prepared to have her natural.
On the following wednesday I had an appointment with my midwife and when she checked me I was at a 3 and Kaylee had moved back down into the pelvis. She said that she could break my water at that position. She even thought that I would easily go into labor on my own before my scheduled induction for Saturday. I waited the rest of the week to go into labor but nothing happened.
We went into the hospital at 7am Saturday morning. Appartently they had been really busy at the hospital because they only had one room available. Since I was a week overdue they did not send me home. My midwife showed up around 9 am to break my water. When she checked me Kaylee had moved back out of the pelvis again and she couldn't break my water again. My midwife was not going to play the same game we played last week so she told me that she was not going to give me the epidural until I was in active labor. I, of course, agreed. She started me on the pitocin and told me she would be back around 12:30pm. I spent those three hours bouncing on a big exercise ball. I was trying to do everything I could do to bring the baby down. I was scared that there was something wrong and that if she didn't move down by the time my midwife came back that I would have to have a c-section. When my midwife came back she checked me and Kaylee had moved down enough for her to break my water. YEA! From that point the contractions really picked up and they hurt. The midwife still wanted to wait a little longer before giving me the epidural so after an hour they gave me some pain killers through my I.V. to help take the edge off and to make me super groggy. It was weird falling asleep inbetween contractions but I was awake for the contractions. Another hour later I asked my midwife to check me to make sure there had been some progress and so I could get the epidural. At 2:30pm she checked me and I was dilated to almost 5 cm. I got the epidural and with the combination of the other pain medication I was knocked out. Around 4:15pm they came in to wake me up so I could push. I was suprised that I was fully dilated already. After pushing through a few contractions, Kaylee was born at 4:28 pm. I am so glad I didn't have to push for 2 hours like I did with Aaron. However, we figured out why she had such a hard time coming down. The cord was wrapped around her neck four times. Luckily she never showed any signs of distress and was perfect when she was born.
When she was born they handed her right to me and gave me a chance to hold her for a bit before they took her to clean and weigh her. I had lost a lot of blood and my blood pressure was super low (77/33) . I had a hard time staying awake to take in all the excitement of my new baby. I couldn't hold her or nurse her. It took me about an hour or so to feel somewhat back to normal.
Aaron has done really well with her so far. He loves to look at her and point out the baby. When we first brought her home we asked him where the baby was and at first he pointed to my belly but we corrected him and showed him that Kaylee was the baby. He has been really good about not touching her except when he wants to give her the binky. It has been nice to have my Mom around this week so she could take care of his needs so I don't think he has noticed a big difference yet. We will see what happens this week when I am too busy with the baby to get him what he wants.
This older brother is a happy kid.
He is calling his friends to tell them the news.
Mommy and Daddy feeding me ice cream. Yummy!

11 comments:

britentj said...

Congrats again you guys! she is beautiful!!

Cherise said...

She is beautiful - can't wait to see her soon - Hey Angela - my mom gave me good advise about taking care of two when Jonathan was born - she said the baby wont remember if you let her cry and take care of your older child - but the older child might resent the baby if they are always the second one to be taken care of - it helped me with trying to figure out which child's needs I had to take care of first... Good Luck!

Tonia Bell said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful!!

Kierst said...

I'm glad your recovery was better this time around. Mine was harder the second time. I'm glad everything went well also. She's beautiful! Congratulations. Good luck with the transition. It's been really difficult for us, but once I implemented a sticker chart for London, things got a lot better.

Sharon said...

Oh! I miss Aaron and Kaylee already! (And you too, of course)

Kay said...

What a cute little family. I'm glad she is finally here and things will settle in fast when you get a good routine going. Congratulations!

Holladay Duplex said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy your little girl is here! What a sweet, cute girl.

Anonymous said...

Glad she finally came- she must have been so cozy in your tummy she didn't want to leave! :) She is adorable, and I love her name. Hope you guys are doing well, and you will be great at having two kids! I liked Cherise's advice- I will have to remember that for this fall!

Kimberly said...

She is so cute! Don't forget to take those naps, I can't believe you have two kids now. That is so weird. I wonder when I will ever get to see her. :(

Kyle ♥ Ashlyn said...

she is so cute angela congrats :]i love her name its so cute

Anonymous said...

AWWWW SHE IS GORGEOUS! YOUR FAMILY IS GROWING & IS SO BEAUTIFUL!! HOPE ALL CONTINUES TO GO WELL FOR YOU!